You will need:
- 2x chicken breasts (thighs or legs are fine too, and cheaper. but my hubby would probably have kittens if he found bones in his dinner)
- 1 large tomato ( I used 1 can of tomatoes in juice, which was a bit overpowering if u ask me, still tastes good but better with one huge fresh tomato diced real small)
- 1 and a half cups of chicken stock
- 1 small beef stock cube (omit if your using a can of tomatoes it's mainly for colour)
- 1 small chicken stock cube (have this on standby if you feel its not flavored enough towards the end. I didnt use mine. nanna's like salt. lol)
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 cup of rice (I used basmati, but it really doesn't matter what kind you use. If you use brown rice remember it takes longer than white)
1. Chop up the onion and chicken into pieces, the smaller the better. Do it smaller than you see in my piccies.
2. Put a large saucepan on medium heat with a little oil and fry chook
And onion till chook turns white. It doesn't need to be cooked through yet.
Let gently boil for about ten mins
That's it! Served traditionally with simple buttered bread. or if you have guests over or extremely hungry bellies, Garlic bread and a simple salad with french dressing is nice too.
It's filling, easy, cheap, yum! Perfect winter warmer.
... I wonder how it would go in the slow cooker? Can't see why it wouldn't work well.