(you should slice it much thinner than this! haha)
You Will Need:
1 cup of dark brown sugar
2 Tbs Honey
1 cup of very hot (not boiling) water
3 Tsp mixed spice
2 cups self raising flour
1. Preheat Oven to 180 degrees celsius. (200 conventional)
2. Combine the dark brown sugar, honey and water in a glass measuring jug or bowl. Stirr it till sugar is dissolved. Let cool for 10 mins.
3. In a large bowl beat egg with mixed spice, then add self raising flour.
4. Pour in the cooled mixture and mix well so it's all combined. It'll be quite runny at this stage.
5. Grease a loaf pan (mines ceramic) with butter. I also find I have to cut a bit of baking paper to put on the bottom and grease that too... To keep the cake from getting stuck. I think this has something to do with the ceramic and a conventional oven. Who knows. My point is, use baking paper on the bottom to be sure. Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan
PS coffee lovers can add a tablespoon of coffee to the hot water mixture for something more "robust" or, you can dress it up with coloured icing for a prettier version.